Friday, July 07, 2006

Americorps

So as promised on myspace I am using my blog to share information about the latest life altering decision I have made. Last week I decided that I will be leaving San Diego and moving to cape cod where I will be an americorps supervisor. The decision was a difficult one but I feel it was the proper one to make. San Diego is a wonderful place and I have had nothing but a good time since I got here. However times became much less fun once I started working at a dead end job that I completely despised. The beach the sun and the surfing will all be missed, as will the friends I have made since I arrived, but I realized that paradise is no longer paradise when you spend 40 hours a week doing something you hate with no end to it in sight. That is basically the thought that was going through my mind when I applied for the position with americorps. While I have my doubts that cape cod will be as nice as San Diego, in fact I have my doubts any place could be as nice as San Diego, I think it will be a good life experience to live on the east coast for a year. My number one reason for moving to San Diego was to experince living in a new part of the country and while I feel I have only scratched the surface of that hear cape cod will provide me the same opportunity. Additionally I really think the postition with amercorps will be something I truly enjoy. The problem I have been having since graduation is that I do not feel like life in a cubicle all day is the proper life for me. At the same time I dont really want to be a manual laborer and without a science degree there are not many other options in the environmental field. With amercorps I will both be networking and planning environmental restorationg projects and in the field supervising americorps crews with carrying out these projects. This hybrid aspect is very appealing to me. So although the money sucks and I have to move across the country to do it, I think I am making the proper choice in saving the world and doing it in a manner I can enjoy. If anyone has any questions about what I am doing or comments about my decision or americorps in general I would love to hear what others think about this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home