Sunday, April 01, 2007

Every Childs Dream

When you were little did you ever build forts? I always had the coolest ideas for sweet forts but never really had the skills or materials to make them happen. This past week that all changed as I was given the opportunity to work on something that was truly unique. After work several days last week I headed down to the town of Foulmouth to work on construction of a playground. Now this just wasnt a swingset and a slide, no no. It was roughly half a football field in size, and contained among other things a pirate ship and a lighthouse. The playground was designed by a bunch of eighth graders and built entirely by community volunteers. I plan on returning soon to get some pictures of this playground which I will post for everyones enjoyment.

Moving on to more important things I had a sweet opportunity to go camping this weekend and I jumped all over it. One of our service partners at work hooked it up so that we could use this campsite for free out towards the end of sandy neck beach. Anyone who has been out there knows how amazing it is. The ranger at the beach was also nice enough to drive out water and firewood for us which was huge as it was a four mile walk along the beach to get to the site. It was an awesome opportunity and out of the 28 people it was offered to three of us accepted it. This got me thinking about something I read on workingsforsuckers the other day. I find it simply amazing how many people are into traveling and seeing the wonderful things the world has to offer in other places but simply ignore everything in their own backyard. Cape Cod is one of the most unique places in the world and it sometimes seems like people who live out here take it for granted. So here is my advice to everyone, you dont need to travel to see amazing things. Start taking advantage of where you are at instead of dreaming about where you are not. Take a hike, go for a swim, watch a sunset, or better yet a sunrise. It doesnt have to be anything big just go outside and enjoy things. You will probably find it much more rewarding than watching TV and it just might help you relax a little. For more on topics such as this I reccomend reading "The Last Child in the Woods" it is a really interesting look at the topic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home