Sunday, May 13, 2007

Useless thoughts about useless questions

Where will you be in five years? Does anyone else think this is the most useless interview question ever. With AmeriCorps member interviews coming up soon I have been thinking about what interview questions I really hate and what ones are really useless. This question seems to fall into both categories. Does anybody ever have any sort of idea where they will be in five years.

I started thinking about this with the events of this weekend. Saturday I spent all day working on a controlled burn with the Cape Cod National Seashore and local fire department. (more details from this coming soon, I should be getting pictures on monday then I will post). Today I spent my day rock climbing at a gm in New Bedford. Five years ago I was 20 years old and busy drinking my face off in college. The point being that I in no way ever would have predicted the point my life is at now. Furthermore I can take guesses as to where I will be in five years but I am willing to guarantee that whatever I guess will probably not even be remotely close to where I end up. Therefore this is a completely useless question to ask in an interview and I will do my best to rid the world of it.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll play devils advocate, even though I also hate the question and think its useless. I think the intention is to determine if your interviewee is a goal setter who will supposedly work hard towards there goals. I think it misses the mark cause its too easy to bullshit a good answer, so you're really just finding out how good a bullshitter you've got.

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home